8.12.2008

I have to tell you something, but I am not sure how to begin. You see, I am not anyone important and I am afraid that there is no one listening to what I say. Empty stares and heartless eyes are peering down at me. They make me fear. I am not sure what I am afraid of and none of it makes sense. The one thing that I do know for sure is that my fear is real. How can you be certain of even that? You may ask. I don’t even know, I don’t even know that, but see my hands, how they shake, see how white I am, feel the trembling of my soul. You refuse to believe me even as I say I am afraid. Why should I go on, knowing that you would not believe what I have to say? My fear keeps me silent. Why was I chosen to bear this message? Why must I be the one to speak? Make someone else! Someone else has to do it because I can’t.
“But you’re carrying on all this time surely you can say what you mean.”
I’m afraid I can’t. This fear has left me paralyzed.

And with that he left and ran away… It seemed strange that such a small boy would interrupt my quiet evening with a knock upon my door. I wonder what it was that he had in mind to say.

No comments: